Friday, January 30, 2015

Over the Falls deli in Wake Forest

Oh it is SOOOOO worth the drive!

Oh Wake Forest, how do you tempt me so with such a delightful treat adjacent to a bowling alley?

I would never have expected a restaurant two doors down from the local bowling alley to be anything I'd want to return to, or have the desire to try absolutely everything on their delightfully planned menu...but Over the Falls certainly accomplishes that...and more!

I've had the delightful experience of being served here three times. Twice for lunch and once for dinner. There is no better place at this price point in RTP and frankly, few places that exceed even at a higher price point for the menu!

The amazing sandwiches come on a variety of bread choices including one of the best marble rye I've ever had anywhere in the US and a superbly finished pretzel roll. Imagine a bread and it is likely they feature it here! Additionally, they will swap out breads to accommodate your preferences and only the pretzel roll carries a surcharge of just 1$.

The meats are all perfectly flavored, sliced beautifully and layered in sandwiches filled with the exact right mix of cheeses and vegetables. The grilled items are not dripping in oil, but rather perfectly crisp and not burned.

I love She Crab soup, but typically do not order it unless I can hear the gulls crying out from the shore. I took a chance and did a cup of soup with my entree and was delighted to find it was as good as any I have had in Charleston, sans the sherry float which I do enjoy!

My dining companion chose a flatbread with artichoke hearts, fresh spinach, delicately sliced Bermuda onion, crumbles of feta and the perfect melt of mozzarella!   The flatbread was brushed with a blend of olive oil and fresh garlic and was cooked to perfection. It was crisp without shattering at each bite and had enough 'chew factor' to be eaten with a fork if desired. The aroma was phenomenal, the taste even better. Were I to order this, I would add chicken to make it the perfect meal with protein. It is enough to share with several as a starter and even as a meal, plenty to take home to enjoy the next day...it was, much to our delightful surprise, even better Day Two!

Torn between a Reuben and a burger, I was and then I saw it...the answer to my culinary prayers, Brink Burger!  Their tag line is...We can make it, can you finish it? and I'd have to give a resounding NO. Though I think one of my teen boys could possibly attempt it. A perfectly medium burger atop layers of grilled corned beef, and then snuggled under perfectly done sauerkraut and a blanket of melted Swiss cheese all tucked into grilled swirl rye. Now it traditionally comes with Thousand Island dressing, which I call Thousand Calorie dressing, so I got it on the side and had just a bite or two with that, but it was wonderful without it, too!!

Choices of sides are wonderful-the house made chips are divine as are the fries, fruit and cole slaw. I however, happily paid an extra dollar for the sweet potato fries and though I ate only four of them, they were well worth the price. 3/8 in cut long fries with a crisp exterior and steamy, pillow soft interior. No sauce needed, just sprinkle with sea salt and sigh.......

You can also substitute the amazing She Crab soup as a side, which I've done both times in the past but heard so much good press on the SPF, I had to give them a go and now I shall be torn forevermore on which side to choose. I may have to start engineering that my dining companions get SPF and I will 'test' a few of theirs!

Friendly, delightful staff and even though we once had someone a bit ditzy, she was still such a nice and genuine person, how can you say that's a bad thing? I'd rather have warm and effusive than self-important and abrupt any day!

Menu is the same, as is the pricing, from dinner to lunch, which I find delightful, save for 5 entrees that are only available after 5p.

The owner is a hoot and if you get a chance to chat with him, be sure you get your waitress to fill your drinks as you settle in for great conversation on any one of a hundred topics he's ready to talk about. He's the kind of person you hope to sit beside on a plane, interesting and engaging and truly cares about making a difference in the world and it shows!

Over the Falls should be the ONLY deli anyone in Wake Forest goes to, there is simply nothing that compares!

No comments:

Post a Comment