Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Some ideas for mixing things up and cutting calories in the kitchen!



I’m always intrigued by the different thoughts people have on lower calorie cooking. Some people feel that they need to deprive themselves and pick ingredients and they don’t really care for because of the calorie count, other people feel that they should be able to buy things package that are both healthy for them and tasty. I find both of these to be a wrong way to approach eating.



I believe you should be eating the foods that you love! You should be eating the foods that you enjoy! Certainly moderation plays a factor, but so does what you combine them with. For example I love scrambled eggs! I love omelettes! I love poached eggs! Pretty much if it is an egg, I’m going to love it! Eggs however are 70 cal each. So I started using Eggbeaters. And yet I hear from people so often that they hate Eggbeaters and when I asked them why, they generally tell me they are rubbery little discs, which in turn tells me they’re not making them right because I make them for people and they generally ask where I get my wonderfully farm fresh eggs. 

Which is not to say that I don’t buy farm fresh eggs, I certainly do, but I don’t use them just for basic scrambled egg. I'll make use of my farm fresh eggs when I’m poaching or frying and probably in some baking as well. But generally I’m using Eggbeaters and I’ve even migrated from using 50% Eggbeater whites and the other 50% in the regular Eggbeaters I can cut my calories, 75% with that one little change alone!



Eggbeaters to me are a top choice food to take on the road! I can make so much with them, they are so warm and satisfying and it doesn’t feel like ‘made in a hotel room’ food. Stopping off at the local salad bar and picking up some mushrooms, peppers, olives...whatever else I am in the mood for...to mix in with my eggs as a great way to amp up the Eggbeaters.  I pour a third of a cup into a microwavable container, add the vegetables, sometime some cheese, stir with a fork and cook it for 45 seconds. Then I stir again and I cook it in eight second increments. I find that just up one or two second overcooking will result in an overcooked and yucky Eggbeater experience. By staying a little bit on the wet side and allowing the heat that’s already present to continue cooking the mixture once I removed from the microwave makes a huge difference.



Eggbeaters another great way to cut calories in a baked dish as well! Now sure, there are some where an actual egg makes a difference, but mostly, Eggbeaters rock! 

I’ve learned to take a sugar-free brownie or cake recipe use Eggbeaters instead of a regular egg use additional water or applesauce instead of oil and can cut the calories dramatically from what stated on the package I can add some calories but really amp up the protein by putting two scoops of protein powder in the batter. Sometimes I choose a protein powder that will enhance it such as a peanut butter or cookies and cream and other times I use unflavored because I just want the pure taste of the item to be enjoyed. For whatever reason I find that when I had a protein powder I really have to overcompensate for the liquid so sometimes I’ll even have cookies that seem a little goopy when I put them in and thus I moved to a bar shape cookie instead of a scoop or drop cookie. 

One interesting thing that has come from this practice, is a very consistent serving size. When I put them into a pan, I cut them into 36 same size cookies and I don’t have to worry that one cookie was a little larger than or a little smaller than its counterpart. It gives me an extremely consistent calorie count it also makes me very mindful that I can’t mentally compensate for the easy thought of “Oh gosh that was a smaller cookie, I can have another”.   

Another nice thing about bar cookies is I can make them all at once, rather have to put them in the oven and take them out another dozen in the oven and take them out I can civilly pour them all into one pan wait for them to cook let them cool just slightly mark them off and then let them come to a full cool at that time it’s very easy to separate them without having them pull or tear against each other. I have not found a single cookie that I could not do this to which was formerly a drop or scoop cookie. Certainly something like a Mexican wedding cookie or Spritz would need to be handled differently but frankly I can get by without eating those types of cookies, I’m talking chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, butterscotch or gingerbread. 

Even a plain “sugar cookie” can be adjusted made a little bit healthier lower calorie and still 100% enjoyable. But all of this requires some adventure in the kitchen. And I’m always interested when I talk to people how unadventurous they are in the kitchen how afraid they are of the basic ingredients that are in their own cupboards. I find so many people are so tied down to recipes that they can’t re-imagine or think differently of how that might have come to be in a smarter way. And I figure the worst thing is going to happen is you’re going to throw away a batch of cookies (or feed them to your local teen boy) as I guarantee you are NOT going to have your kitchen access revoked. You are not  going to be made fun of and mocked openly in the streets. So you made a bad batch of cookies. So what? Who cares?



You’re out there experimenting and trying and that’s more quite frankly the most people seem to do. Go for it...all you have to lose is calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment