Sunday, September 28, 2014

Running on the road!

Because I often travel for extended periods, I cannot simply not run when I am on business travel. My fitness would plummet, my weight would increase and I'd be a bit of a crab, since I depend on running as my consistent therapy of mind as well as body. 

When I am home I have all my items at the ready, on the road I need to be smart about how I pack and what I pack.  This summer I was really able to put my skills to the test as I went to three cities in very distinct climates over 15 days of time and was preparing for an intensive race not long after my return, so slacking off was not a good choice.

Cold, drizzly San Francisco then warm and dry Salt Lake City and finally HOT HOT HOT Austin.  I decided to pack for layers so that when I was in SF I had my long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve as well as my running jacket and thermal tights that I normally wear in winter in NC. But the moist air really sinks into the bones and even on the 13 mile runs I did Friday and Monday did not result in my wishing for lighter clothing choices!

In SLC, I skipped the long sleeve shirt and jacket, but by running very early in the morning I was able to use my thermal tights without any issues. I did one later in the day run and wore compression shorts then. I packed up my warmest items plus my used bras and socks, and mailed them home to myself from SLC. 

Arriving in Austin I had only short sleeve shirts and compression shorts and extra room in my suitcase for souvenirs!

Now beyond clothing, I really needed my foam roller. I purchased a travel size roller that goes easily in my roll aboard luggage and I roll my socks, bras and shorts into the space of the roll so nothing is wasted. I use my foam roller before a long run and after any run, it has really helped keep me pain and injury free. I am a strong advocate of the foam roller!

Every hotel has offered me great running maps and I sometimes use them, but I also find that calling the running stores close to my hotels before I arrive and asking about running groups during my stay. Great way to meet fellow runners and be with a group in a new city. I know some, like SF so well that I adventure out on my own. But Austin was a new spot for me, having a group to run with was lovely and knowing there was a store if I needed something so close was very nice!

What is your favorite tip for keeping up your healthy habits when traveling?

No comments:

Post a Comment