Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Clam SquashRoom saute or bake, here is the secret recipe!

I was craving mushrooms soooo much recently. I would have done just about anything for one!  I had some sliced baby bellas (cremini) on hand and as I was pulling them out I saw a fresh bag of butternut squash I had purchased the night before. I love squash and I love mushrooms. So I did a saute of mushrooms and a cup of the butternut squash. I added one tablespoon of drippings from zesty Italian brats I'd made earlier in the day. The TONS of flavor was well worth the bit of fat! And nothing makes a soft interior, crispy exterior mushroom quite like a bit of pig fat!

Then I started thinking about what I would be a good protein pal for this mixture and remembered I had a can of clam sauce on hand. There are many, many things I make from scratch. Clam sauce is not one of them. Bumble Bee white clam sauce is just fine and dandy with me! 1 cup has only 100 calories!

I lowered the heat, added the clam sauce to the butternut and mushroom mixture and 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan. I then put a lid and let it cook on very low heat for 5 minutes, gave it a solid stir and then served it. DELISH!

My son was due home soon for lunch. I quickly made a pie crust and lined a 2 cup casserole dish, baked the lower portion and then filled with the mixture, put a top crust on and baked for 18 minutes. He loved it and asked for the ingredient list. He said he'd never have thought to combine them, but that he loved it!

So you can serve it as a saute or as a bake...delish either way!

If you make 6 servings with 8 oz of baby bellas, 1 cup of butternut squash, 1 tablespoon of drained fat (it would be great with coconut oil, too!), 1 tsp of pretzel salt and 1 cup of the white clam sauce they are 50 calories each and very filling!!

I think next time I will try some sauteed onions in there as well. This is now in our regular rotation!

No comments:

Post a Comment