Thursday, September 11, 2014

It's only a measure of gravity people...don't fear the scale!

There came a time when I achieved my initial goal weight. And it was clear that was still not the right number, so my doctor, nutritionist and I all determined that the best number was 14 to 15 lbs lighter as an ideal goal. I recall in that meeting my nutritionist saying that if I were 15 years younger, they would have moved the goal down THIRTY pounds, but at my 'advanced age' this was a better overall weight. 

At *barely* 47 I found that a little offensive, but did not make a big deal of it. 

So it took me MONTHS to reach my new goal and I was really happy when I did and while I think 5-7 more pounds lost would be fine, the feedback of many around me is that I am at a fine weight. And truthfully, I likely am, just wanting to convert some fat to muscle. :)  

For about two months I trained for the relay race I've written about previously. I was running twice a day most days and longer than normal runs on my single run days. I lost weight and was not feeling my full self the final few weeks, so I was encouraged to add more carbs to my daily intake than I normally would. As I always do, I weighed myself each Monday and on weigh date prior to the relay I weighed 161 lbs. On my weigh date after the relay I was 167 lbs. 

SIX POUNDS after all that running? Gah!

And yet my clothes fit fine, I did not feel like I was larger, when my husband saw me late on the second night he did not jump back and say "WOW, someone ballooned up!".  In fact, no one commented I was getting bigger. So, in an uncharacteristic move, I weighed myself today. And I was 161 lbs. today and I could literally feel myself relax, knowing I was back to the 'right weight' again.

Then I had another epiphany moment. I had already reached a place of peace with the scale months ago, that it did not define me, it was just a guide. It doesn't tell me anything but the force of gravity on my being. The fact that I was back to fearing the scale after a demanding race told me I still had some headwork left to do on this topic. 

Yes, the scale is a good way to know if you are on track or not, but a one week change isn't a life definer. Especially after a big change. I recall the Monday after my first Half Marathon I was a bit heavier as well. Not six pounds, but still. I know after a big race I am a little more gravity prone, and yet I let it bother me and if given the chance to fester...define me.

I am far more than the force of gravity on my physical self! So tell me...do you fear the scale? Do you let it define who you are and make or break your day? How have you broken free from the scale as your enemy and embraced it as one of many tools to help you? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment