Friday, October 31, 2014

A new PR in a half marathon...or was it?

I ran in the Monster Dash in St. Paul, Minnesota last weekend. It was fun and want to find a Halloween themed race each year going forward. I am not a person who dresses up or even decorates in the most basic way now that my children have grown. Though I DO still give out full size candy bars to trick or treaters. It surprised me how much I genuinely enjoyed picking out a funky monster headband, matching mittens and a multi-color tutu to run in with my very bright running attire.

Because of the way the course was set up, there were fewer spectators and cheering groups on both sides of the road, which have been a part of each race I've participated in prior to this one. I mostly had people on the direct right and very few who were actively high fiving along the way as so many runners tossed candy to the spectators and they were in a dive mode for the goodies.

I had my timing bracelet next to my watch and could see that I was running my best half to date. I was really excited and wondering what had played into it. My preparation? My sleep the night before? My nutrition in the week leading up to the run? The weather-which was spectacularly fantastic, the same race was cancelled last year for snow and ice conditions but this particular day was as gorgeous as they come! I have a goal to do the race in the time of the bracelet, and I'm not there yet, but I got closer on that day than any other.

When I realized, in sight of the finish line, that I was going to PR and by several minutes I became elated. I was so happy, I checked my watch pretty repeatedly because I was sure I was missing something, but sure enough, crossed that line and voila, I had finished in my best time yet!

YAY!

So when I had eaten my banana, heart rate was back to normal, and I was walking the 1.5 miles back to the light rail to ride back to my hotel in Minneapolis I thought I'd compare the race splits and where I'd done better and where I had remained flat. And pretty immediately I noticed something. In Minneapolis, I had run 13.2 miles. In my Hartford race, I'd run 13.85 miles. In the race prior I had run 13.78 miles.

And it hit me!

I always cross over in zig zag fashion to high five any kid who has come out to cheer. I cross over to the drink tables where kids are handing out the water or sports drink. I feel compelled to recognize and encourage the children who are out there banging the cowbells, holding signs and cheering me on and so I go back and forth to them as they pepper the route. And I'm running 3/4 of a mile more than i need to!

So I deducted the average of my time for that much distance over the course of a half and guess what, I really didn't PR in MN....I PR'd in Hartford in the freezing cold and grey skies and numb fingers and dead shoes!

Going forward I'm going to pick a side and smack palms of those kids and wave happily to those on the other side. I am going to see what I can do in the next few races, time-wise, by not adding extra mileage to my half!

I sure do love the joyous faces and I'll just have to be sure to smile back and maybe fist pump for the most boisterous of the 'other side' cheering crowd. And who knows, my recognized PR may be just around the corner.

Here I come Richmond!!


No comments:

Post a Comment