Friday, August 15, 2014

Pancakes. Oh blissful pancakes!

Saying no to processed carbs was a huge part of my slimming down, cutting out cravings and being satisfied with fewer calories and feeling full longer.  But I sure do love pancakes, I was raised on them and have in the past gorged myself on them more than once...and I did not want to gorge on them again OR trigger myself for more cravings.  

I have mastered the art of the cream cheese crust for pizza and thought why not look at making a cream cheese pancake. So I experimented a bit and have finally come up with a lovely substitution that fills me up and doesn't leave me wanting to raid the fridge to the point of empty, either!

This is enough for 3 pancakes depending on the size pan you use. I try to make mine about 6 inches in size. I find one is nice with a little something else. Two if I am eating them as the only thing for breakfast. 

Basic Cream Cheese Pancake:

2 tablespoons cream cheese (FF/RF/Regular) does not matter
4 tablespoons of egg beaters OR two fresh eggs
2 tablespoons of thick rolled oats (NOT instant!)
1 tsp of brown sugar (Splenda version is fine)
1/2 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg

Mix everything but the oats in a container via immersion blender. Then hand stir the oats in and then put in a hot, seasoned pan OR use a pan that you've put PAM in to help them release. Cook until they rise a tad (almost as if they sighed with the happiness they are about to make in your mouth and tummy) and flip and cook just a few seconds longer. Makes three perfect 6 inch cakes! I put no sugar added apple butter on mine tonight, but it depends on the day as to what else might go on. Tonight I had two and the dogs shared the third. 


A favorite filling can be flavored ricotta, too! I use 2 oz of fresh ricotta, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (the real stuff!) and a pinch of sea salt. Spread in the middle of a finished pancake and roll up!

If savory is more your speed, how about some flash cooked prosciutto and mascarpone cheese? Or crumbled bacon (cooked before adding) into the batter and then sprinkle with SHARP cheese after removing from heat?

There are countless ideas for fillings/toppings...love to hear something you have tried and loved!!

No comments:

Post a Comment