Saturday, August 16, 2014

All the things I just don’t eat anymore




One frequent question is what I don’t eat anymore. I think that people are convinced there is some secret thing that if you don’t eat it ever again, then you are easily going to lose weight, be trim and voila…life is a never ending day at a theme park!  So here is my secret. Have your pen ready, or considering printing this one out. It is a shocker for many. The answer is……..nothing!  

There is nothing that I don’t eat anymore. 

I am open to have everything and anything on a daily basis. But there is a consequence to that, so I frequently find myself asking….is it worth it? And if it is, then I have it. By worth it…are the calories low enough, the nutrition high enough, the nutrition balance proper enough and the taste excellent enough. I am not going to eat a McDonald’s fish sandwich because the taste is horrific to me now (though I loved them previously!) and if I am going to have a bun and fish and cheese…dang it, I want Neptune himself to say YUM!!!  I also am now a lifetime subscriber to the three bite rule I learned from my nutritionist. It was strange at first and I have had restaurants ask if something was not done right or if they can bring me a complimentary substitution, but beyond that, it is now as natural as breathing to me. Here is how my nutritionist laid it out to me.

The first bite is THE BEST BITE! I mean, write your mother, get a fireworks display going, award winning brass band playing the National Anthem BEST BITE!  Those taste buds are in a state of unmitigated bliss. They are just thrilled and luxuriating in that fabulousness that is the first bite. 

Here comes that second bite. And oh….is it ever wonderful. But no better than that first bite. It sort of reinforces it, like a second pair of socks on a cold day. That first pair of socks warmed your feet, the second pair just made sure that first pair was on the job without any break in service. 

Then that third bite. It’s good, sure, but really, you don’t taste anything more than the first and your tastebuds are crying out “UNCLE! We can’t even take in more pleasure. We’re on sabbatical from this flavor profile for now!” and so if you NEED to eat more…like your protein at a primary meal, then keep on eating until you’ve had your portion, but don’t expect to enjoy it any more than those first three bites were enjoyed. You can like it, sure, but it won’t be better at that meal than those first three bites. But some relatively empty calories? A little ‘extra’ you wanted but did not necessarily need? 

Go ahead and stop now. Because you are NOT going to recapture that first bite…letter sent, fireworks spent, band instruments back in their cases. And why eat empty calories you won’t even enjoy? For me…there is no win in that at all. 

Unless you are desperately trying to gain weight and to you I say…….go find another blog! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the 3 bite rule. Thanks so much for sharing! I will for sure start implementing that right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete