Monday, August 25, 2014

13.1 or Who's on first...and when a half is a whole

I ran my first ever half marathon in Greensboro, with the 13.1 Race Series. 

The race was a personal triumph and I loved to tell people about it. But I found a funny thing happened when I shared it with others, even other runners! It is my own personal version of a beloved Abbott and Costello skit!

First time, I was in a running store getting new shoes. I let them know that I needed to break in shoes for my next half. 

Him: Oh...what was your last half? 
Me: 13.1 in Greensboro.
Him: Right, but what race was it?
Me: 13.1 in Greensboro. May 18th.
Him: Sure, all half marathons are 13.1, a full marathon is 26.2, so it's really just the math.
Me: Right. I know. Thanks.
Him: So what race did you run?

I finally pulled out a picture of my medal and showed him. It was the 13.1 Race Series. 

I got a discount on my new Asics GT-2000.

Next time I was wearing a shirt from another race that had been a 10K and a half while I was out and about. The person in line behind me at the checkout asked if I had run in the race on my shirt. I beamed and replied that YES I HAD!

Her: How far did you run?
Me: A half marathon.
Her: How long is that?
Me: 13.1 miles
Her: Wow, that seems really far. Are they always that long? 
Me: Yep. A half marathon is 13.1 because a whole marathon is 26.2
Her: Oh, so you didn't finish? That is too bad! Maybe next time.
Me: I did finish. It was a planned half. My goal was to do the half.
Her: Well, you look like you can do the whole next time. 
Me: Thanks. 

I have heard plenty of people say they 'only' ran a half and I realized that some people see it as a negative...they wanted to run a full marathon and did not, for whatever reason. Or that it is less of an accomplishment because it is a half and perhaps by the name alone, it doesn't feel complete. But I refer to it in a way of 'only' just to clarify that it was not a whole because there are people I know who would then start telling people that I was running full marathons and that is not a good thing. So by choosing the 13.1 Race Series as my most favorite races to do a half (and they truly are!), and spreading the word (and math!) of a half being the WHOLE race. 

It is still a pretty elite group, 1.85 million people finished half marathons in 2012 and the total US population is roughly 314 million. 

Less than 1% of the population can say I FINISHED A HALF!! And they SHOULD be shouting it out...I sure do!!  

To all you half runners--YAY FOR YOU! It was the WHOLE race and if you finished, you rocked it. If you didn't, then here is support for next time...because you WILL!  

Join me in Roanoke on March 1, 2015, won't you? 




No comments:

Post a Comment