Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Habit of Food


Recently at the airport I was visually and olfactorily (word of my making!) attacked by an amazingly delicious looking food. An everything bagel pretzel larger than my head? Yes, Please!

But why?

I was not hungry. I’d made a point of eating a container of skyr and plain oatmeal—a quick and easy breakfast that is also filling and delicious and best of all, sticks with me for hours!

That day, however, my mouth wanted what my belly did not need.

Queued up, I did, and as I stepped forward I asked myself why. What was I doing? I didn’t belong there and yet…there I was!

I got out of line and headed in the opposite direction and was faced with gelato and hand crafted pizzas and at 10a those late day items still voiced a very loud COME AND EAT MY DELICIOUSNESS.

Under attack, I headed to the ladies room. Washing my hands, gathering my thoughts and reflecting again on the power of influences outside of my belly that sought to fill said belly. And without needing the food would expand said belly! Had I been legitimately hungry, or in need of protein, I would have been fine shelling out airport dollars for needed food, which is NOT a planetary pretzel, but I did not need it. Not at all!

Even when I sat on the plane, safe from the sights and smells with their siren song of yum coming from virtually every angle of the concourse, I reflected back to that carb bomb and outrageous “serving size’ and being glad, thankful, relieved that it was away and no longer a temptation. But let’s face it, temptation is all around and the next one is a delicious glance or deep breath in away…

Being strong, for me, not just physically but emotionally and intellectually, as well has been a real driver for me. That day I was glad I stood strong. In all the days since I was glad I stood strong. I pray that I do each day going forward as I struggle against the ‘easy to break plan’ choices that swirl around me-all of us-constantly

 

No comments:

Post a Comment