Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Brrrrr, some ways to keep warm while running this winter

I recently ran a race that started in 20 degree weather and finished in 33 degree weather. Cold by the standards of most. Frigid and unbearable for me. I actually considered not running because of the extreme cold.

Knowing the forecast was so very cold and that I had not raced a half in those low temperatures previously, I found it to be kismet when a local running store posted on the Sunday prior to the race that they had new technology running wear on hand. It was a brand I do not normally buy and a fit I do not normally choose.

The thermal Mizuno long sleeve shirt, in a fabulous color called Caribbean Sea, and the full length pants in black, were just what I needed. They get warmer as you sweat and do not wick it away leaving you cool as my other running gear is designed to do.  I was quite cold at the start line, we corralled an hour prior to the start, they do not keep you warm until you sweat. Keep this in mind as you plan your pre and post race clothing.

I also bought an OmniHeat running jacket from Columbia. I was torn between it and the North Face competitor jacket. The reasons I went with Columbia, even though I swooned over the icy aqua color of the North Face jacket were the fact that it had a built in thumb slots that kept the jacket sleeve down and allowed my gloves to be extra warm without a gap. The trim fit so there was not a boxy silhouette or room for any cold air to get in. I also liked the slant of the pockets and the length, which went to the pelvis, but not too short or long for my tall frame. It does not have a hood and I have found that a balaclava or beanie is a better choice than a built in hood.

The pants were low rise, which is not my norm or what I am comfortable in my running pants. I like a true waist location for my running bottoms and so I was not sure about buying these. One thing about choosing a local running store is that they typically have more customer friendly return policies. The one I went to will take an item back even after it has been worn for store credit. Knowing that if I did not like the low-rise they would help me find another, higher waist pant was a huge selling point for me.

Because I believe deeply in ‘nothing new on race day’ I wore the shirt and pants on a 6 mile run a few days prior. While I was very aware of the low rise fit, I found I liked it and chose to keep the pants. I am going to buy another pair since this winter is forecast to be quite cold and I’ll be running consistently through the weather, but I will be warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment