Thursday, February 19, 2015

Breakfast out, but not really



During my most recent trip to San Francisco I had a breakfast meeting with two key colleagues one morning and with another on a subsequent day.  

One breakfast was at a restaurant that I find challenging to make good choices and frankly, wasn’t willing to waste the calories on the carb bombs they serve as the bulk of their menu. They do, however, have a phenomenal tea selection and local honey to put in the tea. So while others chose 800+ calorie meals, I had a large tea with a teaspoon of honey.  I had already enjoyed a protein latte at 6a after coming back from a 6 mile run, so I was still quite fine and feeling fully fueled when we met shortly after 8a.  I tried a new tea and it’s on my favorite rotations now! Mighty Leaf African Nectar. It is my second favorite tea and watch out Yogi Perfect Energy…it might bump you out of the top spot soon!

There seem to be two schools of thought when I don’t have something traditional or expected when I dine with others. One is to be somewhat pecked to death on why I should eat what they are eating, the other is to ask me about my choices and the benefits. I had a session of each this week. The two ladies were a bit mystified that a, I wasn’t charging a big breakfast to my expense account and b, that I was satisfied by 20 oz of tea. I did remind them that I was keeping to an eastern time zone schedule for sleep and waking and had been up for more than 4 hours at that point, which seemed to satisfy them for a bit. But I could tell they really would have preferred me to eat alongside them. 

The other happened the very next morning. The person with whom I was meeting had said he brought his breakfast in and did he mind if we ate in his office as we discussed the topic at hand. I brought a protein latte to sip and he was fascinated that I was eating healthy on the road and we took a segue way down the nutrition path for about 10 minutes. I could tell he was genuinely interested and he had a breakfast of uncooked oatmeal, berries and yogurt…something I do a great deal of the time and find exceptionally filling.  So many feel they must soak those oats in boiling water, but wow are they ever filling when simply mixed with yogurt!  I’ll even sprinkle unflavored protein powder based on my needs for that day.  

The interested corollary I drew was that the first two people both lamented at least 20 lbs to lose and were a bit bothered by my healthy choices while the other colleague is quite fit, focused on healthy choices and was highly supportive of my desire to do the same regardless of being at home or away. He was leaving later that day for two nights out of town and told me I’d given him great ideas to incorporate on the road. Going to the grocery store when traveling is seemingly anathema to so many. Unless they understand the value to their health and then it becomes a viable, sought out solution. This colleague was traveling to a city I’d been in late last year and was staying at the same hotel I’d chosen there. So I was easily able to share where the walking distance grocery store was and how the hotel was set up (full size fridge in a kitchenette) that made it ideal for healthful eating. 

When I stay in a place as I recently did in SF where I have to empty out the mini-bar and store things in a miniscule fridge or cart larger items into the office and use a communal fridge, it has a bit more of a challenge, but still have not come to one I could not make work. Even those that do not regularly have a fridge in the rooms have always provided one to me for asking and never with a fee, though I do hear of folks having to pay a small charge at some hotels for a fridge. 

I think it is easy to say that you are on the road and eating out and just didn’t have a choice about healthy eating. But that’s an excuse. First, even at the carb bomb restaurant I could have made a good--though higher calorie--breakfast option, it just would have not been my first choice and I went with my first choice. Second, if you are making healthy eating and lifestyle choices then really there IS no choice about not doing so when on the road. Doesn’t matter if you travel one day a year or 364 of them, what’s more important to you than you? And why would you make a poor choice about YOU?

So what are some of the best tips you have for eating healthy on the road? I’d love to hear about them!


No comments:

Post a Comment